Congratulations! You just signed your solar contract and now you’re waiting for the most exciting part of the process — solar installation day! Find out what to expect pre-install and take a look at our FAQs for Vermont and New York.
We recommend reaching out to your Solar Home Advisor and/or your Project Manager. They should be able to answer your question, or point you in the right direction.
Once construction starts, we can typically build the solar array in less than a week. On occasion, some ground or canopy projects will be spread out over a week or two.
Absolutely! Your Project Manager will reach out to schedule your installation. Please plan on being home for the morning of the first day of install so that you can meet with the Install Crew Lead to discuss equipment placement, conduit route and cover any questions you may have.
Please plan on being home when the Crew arrives on the first day. This way you’ll have a chance to meet with the Crew Lead to discuss equipment placement and cover any questions you may have. After you’ve had this conversation, you are welcome to go about your day.
We do use power tools and heavy machinery, so there will be some noise. However, the volume is dependent on our proximity to your home. If we are installing on your roof, things can get fairly noisy.
The majority of installations do require your power to be turned off for a short period of time. If you are home, the electrician will always give you a heads up.
When you’ve confirmed your design we request 70% payment, and when the install is complete we’ll request the remaining 30%. If you have specific questions, please reach out to your Solar Home Advisor.
The agreement you signed with your Solar Home Advisor was quoted prior to conducting a thorough evaluation of your home. When our engineers reviewed the information collected from the evaluation, they discovered that your home needed structural and/or electrical upgrades before your solar electric system could be installed safely.
New York Specific
No need to do anything! Your Project Manager will CC’d on any emails from the utility. If any further action is needed your Solar Home Advisor or Project Manager will reach out to discuss.
Installation dates are dependent on a lot of moving parts that your Project Manager is keeping track of. Once everything is in place, they’ll reach out to schedule your installation. Part of the timing hinges on the type of product you purchased and the complexity of the design. For instance, ground mounts and canopies have a more complex permitting process and could require multiple planning board or zoning board meetings, spanning over several months. Permitting is a very important part of the process, and we are dependent upon your municipality. Factors like office hours and application volume can affect processing time. Some jurisdictions can issue a permit as quickly as 1-2 weeks, whereas others may take up to 8 weeks. We’re as eager as you are to get your array up and running, so hang in there! We will keep you in the loop, and you are always welcome to reach out to your Project Manager to check on the status.
The system will not be turned on at this point. Only after the inspection is complete and the utility issues permission to operate. It could be 3-6 weeks after SunCommon installs your solar.
I got an email from firstname.lastname@example.org, that says "CPG Deemed Issued for SubCase 'Net-Metering CPG Registration." Do I need to do anything?
No need to do anything! Your Project Manager was CC’d on this email as well. This email is letting you know that your Certificate of Public Good (CPG) or permit application has been submitted and filed. If there are any objections your Solar Home Advisor or Project Manager will reach out to discuss.
Installation dates are dependent on a lot of moving parts that your Project Manager is keeping track of. Once everything is in place, they’ll reach out to schedule your installation. Part of the timing hinges on the type of product you purchased and the complexity of the design. For instance, ground and canopy systems cannot be installed during winter months when the ground is frozen. Some projects require secondary evaluations, or additional permits before construction can begin. These elements are out of our control and could take up to 6 weeks to complete. We will keep you in the loop, and you are always welcome to reach out to your Project Manager to check on the status.
The system will not be turned on at this point. Only after the utility comes to install the solar production meter will your system be producing solar energy. The utility typically will complete this task within 10 days.