SunCommon is a Benefit Corporation based out of Waterbury that is fueled by the belief that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and brighter future – and renewable energy is where it starts. Energy from the sun can power our lives and build vibrant communities. Our mission is to tear down barriers to clean energy and use our business as a force for good.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
SunCommon has grown into Vermont’s largest residential solar business having served over 3,000 customers. In addition, SunCommon has a growing commercial solar program that offers clean energy solutions for local businesses. We begin with a community organizing approach to marketing, via high-touch, personal interactions with home and business owners who want solar but can’t figure it out or don’t think they could afford it. We’ve done all the legwork to put together a total package that’s easy for the customer. We picked the best equipment manufacturer, lined up the finest installers and arranged attractive financing that saves our customers real money.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Commercial Construction Lead is fundamentally responsible for the overall coordination of resources during the construction phase of commercial installations above 15kWAC and ensures the projects are on budget, on schedule, and to SunCommon’s high quality standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This position will:
- Manage commercial construction schedules and construction costs while maintaining quality;
- Provide oversight of direct and subcontracted installers to offer support and to ensure quality installations;
- Support installs as needed including direct oversight of internal installation crews, installation of PV racking system, AC & DC wiring to design, and installation of PV panels.
- In coordination with the Commercial Project Manager, be responsible for communications with clients in preparation for and during construction.
- Support and provide input on site walk-throughs
- Coordinate and maintain relationships with inspectors and utilities to achieve final construction.
- Manage and lead the acquisition of all necessary permits from city and state offices.
- Coordinate material deliveries with our Supply Chain Manager, customers, and installers.
- Review project designs and provide feedback.
- Communicate job status and estimated completion time on daily basis with staff and customers via phone, email, in-person, and through our CRM.
- Manage construction budget in coordination with the commercial team.
- Review installation invoices.
- Manage external relationships to support installations.
- Schedule and coordinate commissioning of commercial installations.
- Ensure all permits and required documentation are completed and closed out for construction projects.
- Ensure that photovoltaic (PV) systems are installed in accordance with codes and standards using drawings, schematics, and instructions.
- Work with SunCommon’s O&M team on an as-needed basis.
- Keep up-to-date on latest codes and solar installation techniques, and apply new knowledge to the job.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following requirements:
- 5 or more years of commercial solar installation experience, preferably as a crew lead or supervisor, scheduling and managing team.
- Ability to perform physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving of your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee multiple subcontractors.
- Experience inspecting equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Experience setting up monitoring for solar arrays.
- Proven ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Proactive approach to developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Applicable knowledge of electrical codes and standards.
- Experience running, maneuvering, navigating, or driving vehicles or mechanized equipment.
- Experience determining and managing time, costs, resources, or materials needed to perform a work activity.
- Ability to travel across Vermont to perform installations.
- Commitment to SunCommon’s purpose and vision.
PAY & BENEFITS
This position receives a competitive salary and the same strong package of benefits available to all employees including:
- For the employee and her/his family, fully paid medical premiums as well as a significant contribution toward medical deductible expenses,
- For the employee and a spouse or dependent, fully paid dental premiums,
- 3 weeks paid personal leave (combined vacation and sick) for year 1; 4 weeks for year 2,
- 10 paid holidays annually,
- 401k company match 1:1 up to 3% of salary that the employee sets aside then 1:2 match for 4 or 5%.
HOW WE WORK
We feel huge responsibility to succeed, to honor our triple bottom line commitments to people (our employees and their families, our Customers and residents of the communities where we do business), planet (Vermont’s beloved environment and the broader globe, given climate change) and profit (providing capital to grow, revenue to share among our employees, and a reasonable return to our investors). This is important work, and we have fun doing it. Innovation is fun stuff.
We do it by celebrating creativity, cross-function collaboration, high energy, hard work, good play, deep networking and with the acknowledgement that we’ll each make mistakes and learn from them. We know success. We know fun. Come do both with us.
In addition to meaningful work, we offer competitive salary and generous benefits. Our values are reflected in our workplace — our new net-positive office building with easy access to vibrant downtown Waterbury.
The Vermont Department of Economic Development named SunCommon as one of the state’s “Best Places to Work,” based in part on the delight registered by our employees in a confidential survey.
Send a cover letter indicating your preferred pronoun, what attracts you to this adventure, and what you would bring to it along with your resume to hr@SunCommon.com. Please send the cover letter and resume as a single PDF document. SunCommon of course is an equal opportunity employer and we don’t tolerate harassment or other discrimination based upon sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, race, color, religion, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other legally protected status.