SunCommon is a Benefit Corporation based out of Waterbury Center that is fueled by the belief that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and brighter future – and renewable energy is where it starts. Energy from the sun can power our lives and build vibrant communities. Our mission is to tear down barriers to clean energy and use our business as a force for good!
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
In just 5 years, SunCommon has grown into Vermont’s largest residential solar business with over 3,500 Vermont customers, and a partnership in New York that has launched our business across the lake. We generate significant revenue, profitably, while serving the communities in which we live and work and the planet that sustains us.
Our innovative business process begins with a community organizing approach to marketing, via high-touch, personal interactions with home and business owners who want solar but couldn’t figure it out or didn’t think they could afford it. We’ve done all the legwork to put together a total package that’s easy for the customer. We picked the best equipment manufacturers, lined up the finest installers and arranged attractive financing that saves our customers real money by doing right by the planet.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
SunCommon has created a new Solar Controller role to help us manage our rapid growth in Vermont and beyond. We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced corporate controller to oversee all finance and accounting operations and staff across multiple locations. The Solar Controller will be responsible for budget management, financial reporting and analysis, cash management, risk management and regulatory compliance. The Solar Controller will report to the CFO and be a key member of the leadership team.
This position is located in Waterbury, Vermont and will require periodic travel to satellite locations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Manage all accounting operations including billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Recruit, mentor, train and manage all accounting staff
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of operating budgets and forecasts with the leadership team
- Prepare and publish monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Provide budget vs. actual reporting and financial analysis for the leadership team
- Develop and communicate financial metrics and dashboards to the leadership team
- Develop and document financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems in compliance with GAAP standards and other regulatory requirements
- Establish and maintain month-end and year-end close processes
- Prepare for and manage annual audit with independent CPA firm
- Oversee cash management, including commercial banking relationship
- Oversee risk management, including insurance agent relationships
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge through additional training, industry groups, professional organizations and personal networking
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- 5+ years of direct accounting or finance experience, preferably as a financial controller;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration;
- CPA or CMA license is preferred but not required;
- Experience selecting, implementing, and operating advanced financial and accounting software;
- Proven success recruiting, mentoring, training and managing teams;
- Proven performance in a fast-paced, high growth environment;
- Ability to be positive, enthusiastic, adaptable and flexible in a collaborative, team environment;
- Working knowledge of solar technology and renewable energy policy;
- Demonstrated commitment to our purpose, with a contagious passion for this work;
- Strong belief in SunCommon’s mission of building the renewable energy movement in Vermont and beyond; and
- Confidence without arrogance.
PAY & BENEFITS
SunCommon’s Solar Controller will receive a competitive salary and the same strong package of benefits available to all employees including:
- For the employee and her/his family, fully paid medical premiums as well as a significant contribution toward medical deductible expenses,
- For the employee and a spouse or dependent, fully paid dental premiums,
- 3 weeks paid personal leave (combined vacation and sick) for year 1; 4 weeks for year 2,
- 10 paid holidays annually,
- 401k company match 1:1 up to 3% of salary that the employee sets aside then 1:2 match for 4 or 5%.
HOW WE WORK
We feel huge responsibility to succeed, to honor our triple bottom line commitments to people (our employees and their families, our Customers and residents of the communities where we do business), planet (Vermont’s beloved environment and the broader globe, given climate change) and profit (providing capital to grow, revenue to share among our employees, and a reasonable return to our investors). This is important work, and we have fun doing it. Innovation is fun stuff.
We do it by celebrating creativity, cross-function collaboration, high energy, hard work, good play, deep networking and with the acknowledgement that we’ll each make mistakes and learn from them. We know success. We know fun. Come do both with us.
In addition to meaningful work, we offer competitive salary and generous benefits. Our values are reflected in our workplace — our new net-positive office building with easy access to vibrant downtown Waterbury.
The Vermont Department of Economic Development named SunCommon as one of the state’s “Best Places to Work,” based in part on the delight registered by our employees in a confidential survey.
Send a cover letter indicating your preferred pronoun, what attracts you to this adventure, and what you would bring to it along with your resume to hr@SunCommon.com. Please send the cover letter and resume as a single PDF document. SunCommon of course is an equal opportunity employer and we don’t tolerate harassment or other discrimination based upon sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, race, color, religion, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other legally protected status.