SunCommon is a Benefit Corporation based out of Waterbury that is fueled by the belief that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and brighter future – and renewable energy is where it starts. Energy from the sun can power our lives and build vibrant communities. Our mission is to tear down the barriers to clean energy and use our business for a force for good. We launched in 2012 and have already changed the solar landscape in Vermont. So we’re continuing to expand, to meet the demand we’re creating.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
SunCommon has grown into Vermont’s largest residential solar business having served over 3,000 customers. We begin with a community organizing approach to marketing, via high-touch, personal interactions with home and business owners who want solar but can’t figure it out or don’t think they could afford it. We’ve done all the legwork to put together a total package that’s easy for the customer. We picked the best equipment manufacturer, lined up the finest installers and arranged attractive financing that saves our customers real money.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Project Lead Solar Installer will be responsible for leading one of SunCommon’s ground installation crews. The Project Lead will be responsible for supervising crew members on the job and ensuring the team’s efficient operation while achieving high quality results.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This position will:
- Communicate job status and estimated completion time on daily basis team members and customers.
- Monitor individual and crew installation quality.
- Install photovoltaic (PV) systems in accordance with codes and standards using drawings, schematics, and instructions. This includes accurately laying out and installing solar racking systems per design on ground and roof mounted systems; mounting and wiring PV Modules per specified design; installing module array interconnect wiring; implementing measures to disable arrays during installation; and checking electrical installation for proper wiring, polarity, grounding, or integrity of terminations.
- Program, adjust, or configure inverters and controls for desired set points and operating modes.
- Install required labels on solar system components and hardware.
- Perform routine photovoltaic (PV) system maintenance on modules, arrays, equipment, safety systems, structural systems, weather sealing, or balance of systems equipment.
- Activate photovoltaic (PV) systems to verify system functionality and conformity to performance expectations.
The ideal candidate for this position will meet the following requirements:
- 5 or more years of solar installation experience, preferably as a crew lead.
- Experience building teams to work collaboratively together to build trust and accomplish tasks.
- Ability to perform physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving of your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Experience inspecting equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Experience setting up monitoring for solar arrays.
- Experience analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Experience developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of electrical codes and standards.
- Experience running, maneuvering, navigating, or driving vehicles or mechanized equipment
- Experience determining time, costs, resources, or materials needed to perform a work activity.
- Experience providing guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and provide coaching and mentoring to help team members improve their knowledge or skills.
- Ability to travel across Vermont to perform installations.
- Commitment to SunCommon’s purpose and vision.
PAY & BENEFITS
SunCommon offers our employees a competitive salary and strong package of benefits, including:
- For the employee and her/his family, fully paid medical premiums as well as a significant contribution toward medical deductible expenses,
- For the employee and a spouse or dependent, fully paid dental premiums,
- 3 weeks paid personal leave (combined vacation and sick) for year 1, 4 weeks for year 2,
- 10 paid holidays annually,
- 401k company match 1:1 up to 3% of salary that the employee sets aside then 1:2 match for 4 or 5%,
HOW WE WORK
We feel huge responsibility to succeed, to honor our triple bottom line commitments to people (our employees and their families, our Customers and residents of the communities where we do business), planet (Vermont’s beloved environment and the broader globe, given climate change) and profit (providing capital to grow, revenue to share among our employees, and a reasonable return to our investors). This is important work, and we have fun doing it. Innovation is fun stuff.
We do it by celebrating creativity, cross-function collaboration, high energy, hard work, good play, deep networking and with the acknowledgement that we’ll each make mistakes and learn from them. We know success. We know fun. Come do both with us.
In addition to meaningful work, we offer competitive salary and generous benefits (health, dental, paid leave time, retirement contribution). Our values are reflected in our workplace — a positive energy building with solar electricity – home to Vermont’s first roof-top community solar array.
Send a cover letter indicating what attracts you to this adventure and what you would bring to it along with your resume to hr@SunCommon.com. Please send the cover letter and resume as a single PDF document. SunCommon of course is an equal opportunity employer and we don’t tolerate harassment or other discrimination based upon sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, race, color, religion, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other legally protected status.