Residential Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Designer – NY
SunCommon believes that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and brighter future – and renewable energy is where it starts. Energy from the sun can power our lives and build vibrant communities. Our mission is to tear down barriers to clean energy and use our business as a force for good.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
SunCommon NY is a B Corporation that offers competitive pay and benefits packages with opportunities for career advancement and professional growth. We create opportunities for employees to achieve work-life balance while contributing to our larger mission.
We have entered into a bi-lateral partnership with SunCommon, a Vermont based B Corporation, to create a regional solar powerhouse that boasts a thriving residential solar business with more than 3500 households served, a rapidly growing commercial solar construction business, and significant market share and huge growth opportunity in the fast-growing Rochester solar market that is home to more than one million people.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Residential PV Designer role is is responsible for developing and designing ground and roof mounted residential and light commercial solar PV projects, and the iterative process of adjusting designs to match real world conditions at individual project sites. This will include assessing ground and/or roof conditions; assessing related structural or civil issues from photos, site survey information or on-site visits; working with a multidisciplinary team to guide projects through the permitting and grant(s) processes from contract to completion. Primary responsibilities to include:
- Confirm preliminary site data supplied by sales staff;
- Conduct/manage engineering site audits to collect structural, electrical, and site information for use in electrical PV designs and physical site layouts;
- Perform shade analysis and energy production modeling through use of programs such as SolarPathfinder, PVStudio, and SAM Modeling;
- Design or coordinate most optimal design of PV systems to include all system components, for residential and light commercial installations;
- Create electrical three-line diagrams for solar PV systems using Computer-Aided Design (CAD), Visio or similar software programs;
- Create array layouts and structural racking plans for roof and ground mounted arrays through the use of manufacturer(s) provided software and design tools;
- Coordinate with subcontracted professionals and engineers on structural and electrical designs;
- Review specifications, and recommend engineering or equipment changes to achieve solar design objectives;
- Provide technical direction or support to installation teams during the installation, start-up, testing, system commissioning, and/or performance monitoring;
- Implement and update as needed the on-going development of standard operation procedures and quality control metrics or safety standards for solar installation work;
- Maintain and update checklists for review or inspection of completed solar installation projects;
- Test or evaluate PV cells or modules;
- Perform stress or cost reduction analyses for solar systems;
- Meet or exceed timelines and expectations of clients and internal departments;
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- 2-5 years of experience in electrical or structural engineering preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other related field preferred but not required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, experience in AutoCAD preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal skills. Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
- Knowledge of National Electric Code and current NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code.
- Ability to pay attention to small details and self-proof read for accuracy.
- Flexibility is key. Must have the ability to work independently or as a team in a fast paced and fun environment.
- Demonstrated structural, mechanical, and electrical design skills, ability to generate accurate, highly‐detailed construction drawings using computer modeling software.
- Previous knowledge of solar power including formal education and/or certifications preferred. NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional preferred.
PAY & BENEFITS
SunCommon provides our employees a competitive salary and strong package of benefits, including:
- For the employee and family, fully paid medical premiums as well as a significant contribution toward medical deductible expenses;
- For the employee and family, fully paid dental premiums;
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave.
HOW WE WORK
We feel huge responsibility to succeed, and to honor our triple bottom line commitments to people (our employees and their families, our Customers and residents of the communities where we do business), planet (our local environment and the broader globe, given the realities of climate change) and profit (providing capital to grow, revenue to share among our employees, and a reasonable return to our investors). This is important work, and we have fun doing it. Innovation is fun stuff.
We do it by celebrating creativity, cross-functional collaboration, high energy, hard work, good play, deep networking and acknowledging that we’ll each make mistakes and learn from them. We know success. We know fun. Come do both with us!
Our values are reflected in our workplace — our office is directly powered by onsite wind turbines and solar panels, our fleet includes all electric and hybrid vehicles, dogs roam the office, and we take pride in being an unabashedly inclusive, diverse workplace.
Please submit a cover letter (including one of your greatest accomplishments) and your resume to as a single PDF document. SunCommon is of course is an equal opportunity employer and we don’t tolerate harassment or other discrimination based upon sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, race, color, religion, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other legally protected status.