SunCommon believes that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and brighter future – and renewable energy is where it starts. Energy from the sun can power our lives and build vibrant communities. Our mission is to tear down barriers to clean energy and use our business as a force for good.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
SunCommon NY is a B Corporation that offers competitive pay and benefits packages with opportunities for career advancement and professional growth. We create opportunities for employees to achieve work-life balance while contributing to our larger.
We have entered into a bi-lateral partnership with SunCommon, a Vermont based B Corporation to create a regional solar powerhouse that boasts a thriving residential solar business (with more than 3000 households served!), a rapidly growing commercial solar construction business, and significant market share with huge growth opportunity in the fast-growing Rochester solar market that is home to more than one million people.
We utilize an innovative community organizing approach to marketing, via high-touch, personal interactions with home and business owners who want solar but couldn’t figure it out or didn’t think they could afford it. We’ve done all the legwork to put together a total package that’s easy for the customer. We picked the best equipment manufacturers, lined up the finest installers and arranged attractive financing that saves our customers real money.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
This position is the business lead for the fast-growing Residential Solar team of SunCommon New York. Located in Rochester, NY- SunCommon NY (formerly SED) has been a leader in renewable energy development for over 14 years, focusing primarily on large-scale commercial projects. The SunCommon NY Residential Solar program includes both Community Solar Arrays (CSA), slated to grow 5x in 2017, and Home installations, set to triple over the same period. This program will provide more than 7MW of new solar power to more than 1,000 local households.
Working directly for the VP of Marketing and Sales and the Chief Operating Officer, and in close collaboration with the Director of Marketing this new role will develop and implement the marketing and sales strategies to support the program’s aggressive growth. Significant talent and leadership exists across the SunCommon platform including a team of field, digital and traditional marketers, inside and outside sales personnel, customer service representatives, and creative agencies that currently support the program and will be key assets in achieving success in this role. The NY Residential Business Development Director will lead this dynamic team, acting as the single point of contact for NY residential and community solar, and adding resources commensurate with the growth of the business.
SunCommon’s residential model depends on robust field and digital marketing and sales strategies, and the new Business Development Director must be adept in these environments, leveraging the existing talent while providing inspiration, leadership, and support to ensure that the right mix of tactics are deployed to successfully implement growth strategies. This person will be responsible for the growth and health of the program, and must have the vision, creativity, and energy to create enthusiasm and support among staff, customers, policy-makers, and the larger Rochester community.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- In partnership with VP of Marketing and Sales, create and implement marketing and sales plan for the 2017 NY CSA and residential solar program
- Work with COO to ensure proper operational and organizational support for CSA and residential scale-up
- Work with Director of Marketing to leverage ongoing campaigns and tactics necessary to achieve rapid growth goals
- Achieve 2017 goal of adding 800 CSA and 300 residential solar customers on time and within specified budgets
- Drive marketing and sales innovation to support new CSA and Residential solar programs
- Lead and grow marketing and sales teams and capabilities to support growing program
- Provide regular updates, including program metrics, to executive and cross-functional leadership teams in New York and Vermont
- Collaborate across Rochester and Vermont-based marketing and sales teams to ensure a seamless experience for SunCommon customers while driving results, enthusiasm and innovation across the program
The ideal candidate will be passionate about renewable energy, technologically savvy, and driven to achieve measurable results. It will be crucial for this person to be capable of balancing the need to provide leadership, support ongoing efforts, and be inclusive of new ideas generated by all levels of staff. Qualified candidates will also:
- Delight in playing a meaningful role in a growth-phase business (with all of its joys, adventures and challenges)
- Embrace our purpose!
- Bachelor’s degree plus 7-10 years of relevant Marketing and/or Sales leadership experience, or combination of education and relevant work experience. Master’s degree a plus
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a proven track record of leading and delivering results in new, high-growth businesses
- Ability to analyze complex data and draw well-supported conclusions
- Creative, independent, and results-oriented leader and doer
- Experience building program support across multiple stakeholders, including partners, customers, and local and remote teams
- Highly effective written and verbal communication, including presentation skills
- Ties to Rochester community helpful, but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to social change
PAY & BENEFITS
SunCommon provides our employees a competitive salary and strong package of benefits, including:
- For the employee and family, fully paid medical premiums as well as a significant contribution toward medical deductible expenses
- For the employee and family, fully paid dental premiums
- Unlimited vacation and sick leave
HOW WE WORK
We feel a huge responsibility to succeed, to honor our triple bottom line commitments as a BCorp to people (our employees and their families, our customers and residents of the communities where we do business), planet (New York’s beloved environment and the broader globe, given climate change) and profit (providing capital to grow, revenue to share among our employees, and a reasonable return to our investors).
We do it by celebrating creativity, cross-functional collaboration, high energy, hard work, good play, deep networking and with the acknowledgement that we’ll each make mistakes and learn from them. We know success. We know fun. Come do both with us.
Our values are reflected in our workplace — our office is directly powered by onsite wind turbines and solar panels, our fleet includes all electric and hybrid vehicles, dogs roam the office, and we take pride in being an unabashedly inclusive, diverse workplace.
Please email us a cover letter (including one of your greatest accomplishments) along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document and include the name of the job title in the subject line of the email. SunCommon is of course is an equal opportunity employer and we don’t tolerate harassment or other discrimination based upon sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, race, color, religion, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other legally protected status.